Essential and critical to Oregon’s communities, special districts deliver muchneeded services while also supporting their local workforce. In addition, many districts offer summer internships to college-level students in their area who are seeking to learn more about local government careers. SDAO recognizes and supports these efforts by providing matching grants through the SDAO Internship Grant Program.
The SDAO Internship Grant Program is available to SDAO members to assist in meeting or improving loss control and best practices, ultimately benefiting both the district and the intern. This grant is not intended to fund routine maintenance needs or normal staffing requirements, but to help with project needs.
Interns must be hired by the district as temporary employees to be in compliance with wage and hour laws relative to compensating student interns. A freshman through junior college-level student will need to be hired to qualify for funding of this grant. The maximum grant per district is $3,000; the funding must be matched by the district by 50%. For example, you may be eligible to receive up to $3,000 on your request for a project that will cost your district $6,000 or more. You may be eligible to receive up to a maximum of $2,100 on your request for a project that will cost your district $4,200. SDAO may not fund all grant requests.
The 2022 Internship Grant Application Process is Now Closed
The SDAO Awards Committee has reviewed each application and selected the following districts for funding:
- Clackamas River Water - $1,600
- Corbett Water District - $3,000
- Halsey-Shedd RFPD - $1,500
- Harrisburg Fire & Rescue - $3,000
- Jefferson Fire District - $3,000
- Lane Library District - $3,000
- Marion County Fire District #1 - $3,000
- McKenzie Fire & Rescue - $3,000
- Multnomah County Drainage District #1 - $3,000
- Pleasant Hill Goshen Fire & Rescue - $2,974
- Springfield Utility Board - $3,000
- Sweet Home Fire & Ambulance District - $3,000
- Umatilla County Fire District #1 - $3,000
- West Extension Irrigation District - $3,000
- Willamalane Park & Recreation District - $3,000
Information about next year's program will be available in early 2023. Please watch this page for updates.