Special Districts Association of Oregon - Risk Management Consultant
Location: Salem, OR
Closing Date: 2/8/2022
Reports To: Risk Manager
Hiring Range (DOE): Contact email@example.com to request information regarding hiring salary range
General Position Summary:
The Risk Management Consultant is responsible for providing technical loss control and risk management services to Association membership; includes on site risk assessments, consultations, and training activities
Essential Functions/Major Assignments:
- Conducts on site visits and inspections of association member locations; surveys and identifies risks and hazards; investigates method and means to eliminate or control hazards; advises members on plan of action and regulatory compliance with goal of identify our members’ needs and provide the tools and resources to assist them in implementing strategies for preventing and mitigating losses.
- Conducts on site building inspections of association member facilities; surveys and identifies property risks and recommendations to eliminate or control exposures; advises members on plan of action.
- Provides on-site technical loss control/risk management assistance, systems and programs for association members such as written safety policies, safety videos, industrial hygiene assistance, safety committee training and various other safety related training topics.
- Maintains current awareness of existing, new, and revised applicable statutes, codes, regulations, and rules and provides guidance, direction and advice to association members and staff regarding them.
- Assists Risk Manager with development of training programs and coordination of training on pertinent safety/risk management issues (e.g., hazardous materials, bloodborne pathogens, personal protective equipment, first aid/CPR)
- Provides support and assistance to other association departments as required.
- Assist Underwriting Department with review of high-risk members to the Pool.
- Assist association members with implementing a return-to-work program; works closely with Return-to-Work Consultant to develop and implements RTW programs.
- All other duties as assigned
- The Risk Management Consultant regularly suggests and develops new processes and procedures, or redesigns current ones as needed
- Will and an on-going need to analyze problems or concepts and make decisions on the information.
- Will have an on-going impact to the district they are working with’ s organization operations, program outcomes, potentially expense or budgetary outcomes.
- Assistance with program and policy development, which could be significant, is also part of the job responsibilities.
- Must work with minimal supervision
- Will regularly contribute ideas and decisions or actions which commit the districts outside established policy/procedure
- Must consider own work and work of others. Planning processes will include determination of issues or obstacles and preferred courses of action. Ability to forecast for the near future (six to twelve months) is required of positions at this level. Planning responsibility may also include identification of activities/solutions in concert with others.
- Regular communication inside and outside the organization to exchange ideas and gather information.
Specific job knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Considerable knowledge in OR-OSHA and other safety regulations.
- Considerable knowledge of loss prevention principles and practices.
- Ability to communicate complex subjects and sensitive information, both orally and in writing with other employees and Association members.
- Ability to communicate effectively before groups.
- Ability to collect, analyze and interpret data and recommend sound policies and practices based on that data.
- Considerable skill in developing and delivering training programs.
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision
- Must be able to independently establish own working schedule and tasks; able to execute work functions outside of typical office environment and often while on the road
- Able to travel extensively within the state of Oregon to conduct inspections and provide trainings etc., to membership; includes overnight travel
Specific Job Effort:
- There is a regular need for assessment of risk, analysis of options and decisions without complete information.
- May require some physical efforts or manual labor such as lifting, carrying or constant movement.
- Regularly responsible for driving
Education, Experience, and Certification/Licensure:
- Associates Degree in Risk Management, Insurance Management, Public Administration or Business Management or closely related field
- Minimum of three years of loss control/risk management experience
- An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job
- Must have a current and valid driver’s license.
- Bachelor’s degree in Risk Management, Insurance Management, Public Administration or Business Management or closely related field
- This position operates in a professional office environment as well as regularly driving/travelling to visit association memberships sites which may occur outside of regular office hours
- This position is eligible to work a hybrid work schedule (work from home/in office) as per current SDAO policy.
- Will be required to work outdoors in all types of weather; may include climbing on roofs, or other unique physical exertions related to the ability to conduct and complete inspections
- Routinely uses standard office equipment, especially computers and mobile devices
- In performance of the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands and fingers to handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; talk or hear; and drive an automobile; may stand for long periods of time while attending conferences and trainings.
- The employee must occasionally lift or move office products and supplies up to at least 50 pounds
- This position requires extensive travel, primarily within the state of Oregon
Job Posting: Click Here
Application Instructions: Click Here
Employment Application: Click Here
Supplemental Questions: Click Here
Appointees will be subject to completion of a standard probationary period.
The essential physical abilities described here are representative of those an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skill required of all personnel so classified. This job description is not an employment agreement and/or an expressed or implied employment contract. Management has the exclusive right to alter this.