Posted: 12/2/2022; Updated: 1/5/2023
Location: La Pine, OR
La Pine Rural Fire Protection District is currently recruiting qualified applicants to fill the position of Fire Chief.
Located in a high mountain basin of Central Oregon, nestled in southern Deschutes County. Considered by many as a premier place to live, work, and play, the community offers an exceptionally high quality of life. Consistent with the Oregon lifestyle, the residents and visitors can enjoy the Cascade and Paulina mountains, volcanic formations, rivers, lakes, wildlife and abundant recreational activities.
A full-service fire district governed by a five-member elected Board of Directors. The District provides fire, rescue and emergency medical transport services to the fast-growing region with a population of approximately 25000 within 120 square mile district boundary and 800 square miles of ambulance service area. The District has an annual budget of $5.5 million, operates out of three fire stations and one administration building. In 2021, the district responded to 2750 calls for services with personnel consisting of 1 Fire Chief, 1 Assistant Fire Chief, 2 Administrative Staff, 25 Career Fire/Medic Staff, 12 Student Residents, and 12 Support Services members.
General Position Summary:
Under the general direction of the Board of Directors, the Fire Chief is an exempt non-bargaining position, functioning as the Chief Executive Officer in leading, directing and delegating responsibilities for all activities of the Fire District. The position is a highly responsible administrative position involving comprehensive fire service management.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
The La Pine Rural Fire Protection District is seeking a dynamic, innovative and engaged leader with proven fire and EMS administrative experience in a medium to large size urban area.
The ideal candidate will possess strong interpersonal and relationship building skills, exceptional communications skills, and the ability to unify groups of people by mutually held values and goals and to help them achieve the established objectives and goals.
Candidate will need to foster innovative, contemporary, and new ideas for the district, be experienced in assessing fire and EMS service models and staying abreast of trends in business and fire service management.
- Associate’s degree in fire science, fire service administration, public administration, management, business, public policy, or related field, or
- Equivalent education and experience in fire department supervision and management to include strategic planning, public process, budgeting, procurement, personnel management, and working with collective bargaining units.
- Ten (10) years of full-time experience in the Fire Service.
- Five (5) years of full-time command experience as a chief officer that clearly demonstrates experience indicative of senior level management capabilities.
- Possess or be able to obtain by time of hire, a valid Oregon Driver’s License, insurable by Districts carrier.
- Successful completion of a fit for duty medical exam.
- Must reside within Fire District after hire as a condition of continued employment.
- Meet Physical Requirements outlined in Job Description
- Bachelor’s degree in fire science, fire service administration, public administration, management, business, public policy, or related field.
- Graduate of National Fire Academy - Executive Fire Officer Program.
- NFPA Fire Officer IV or equivalent.
- Emergency Medical Technician – Basic or above.
- Fire code administration and PIO experience
- Knowledge of Oregon Laws governing public entities, Boards and budget.
- Wildland/Forest firefighting.
- Command presence and demeanor
Salary Range: $117,800.00 - $131,400.00 Currently under review by Board of Directors
Benefits: Competitive benefit program that includes PERS retirement, family health insurance, life insurance, paid vacation, and holidays.
Desirable Starting Date: June 1, 2023
Full Position Description: Click Here
Employment Application: Click Here
To be considered please submit a letter of introduction, resume, and completed application by email or postal service to:
Attn: La Pine Rural Fire District
Fire Chief Selection Process
Special Districts Association of Oregon
PO Box 23879
Tigard, Oregon 97281
Application Deadline: January 26, 2023
Following closing, applications and resumes will be screened in accordance with the qualifications outline above. Initial candidate screening will be completed by Special Districts Association of Oregon and forwarded to the La Pine Fire District Board of Directors. Following Board review, semi-finalists will be selected and provided an invitation to proceed in the process.
Candidates wishing more information about the District or to schedule a tour, please contact Assistant Chief Dan Daugherty at Chiefdaugherty@lapinefire.com or 541-536-2935. Ext. 111. Please contact George Dunkel at firstname.lastname@example.org 503-369-2050 with any questions pertaining to the recruitment and selection process.