ELGL Inspire Virtual Conference
Students From Across Oregon Participate in Networking Event About Local Government Careers
By: Kirsten Wyatt, ELGL Co-Founder and Executive Director
On April 15, the Engaging Local Government Leaders (ELGL) network, League of Oregon Cities, Special Districts Association of Oregon, Government Finance Officers Association of Oregon, and IPMA-HR Oregon Chapter partnered on a two-hour event about local government careers for students from Clackamas Community College, Mt. Hood Community College, Willamette University, University of Oregon, and Portland State University.
The event started with short presentations about the wide variety of jobs available with local governments, ranging from city management, to public safety, to diversity, equity, and inclusion. Presenters shared what a “typical day” looks like in their roles, and also reflected on the undergraduate coursework that has been most useful in their careers.
Students then had a chance to visit in small virtual groups with the speakers, to ask questions and learn more about career paths.
Stefan Myers from Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue shared after the event: “The best moment was meeting a student who was in community college and serves as the student body president. I then got the pleasure of sharing that I actually am a community college graduate and was study body president. We bonded and had a great discussion on what it was like to work in local government versus non-profit.”
The event concluded with a panel discussion with Tigard Human Resources Manager Brandi Leos, ; Klamath Falls Assistant to the City Manager Eric Osterberg, ; and Springfield Management Analyst Sam Kelly-QuattrocchiI . They shared their experiences and stories about finding a local government job or internship.
Special thanks to all of the speakers at the event for volunteering their time to inspire the next generation of local government leaders to public service careers:
- MaryKay Dahlgreen - Lincoln County Library District Library Director
- Sarah Medary - Eugene City Manager
- Susan Cole - Beaverton Assistant Finance Director
- Felicita Monteblanco - Tualatin Hills Parks & Recreation District Director
- Kent Wyatt - Tigard Communications Director
- Stefan Myers - Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue Public Information Officer
- Ronda Groshong - Beaverton Chief of Police
- Markisha Smith - Portland Office of Equity & Human Rights Director
- Mike Cully - League of Oregon Cities
- Christy Wurster - League of Oregon Cities
- Jennifer Quisenberry - Special District Association of Oregon
- Matt Zook - Oregon City Finance Director
- Brandi Leos - Tigard HR Manager
- Eric Osterberg - Klamath Falls Assistant to the City Manager
- Sam Kelly-QuattrocchiI - Springfield Management Analyst
- Kathy Kleczek - Sunset Empire Transportation District NW Transportation Operations Specialist