Special Districts Have Been Left Out of COVID-19 Relief Funds
THE STATE OF OREGON AND OREGON’S CITIES AND COUNTIES HAVE RECEIVED $4.1 BILLION OF ARPA FUNDS.
SPECIAL DISTRICTS HAVE RECEIVED NOTHING SO FAR---$0!!
DISADVANTAGED RURAL COMMUNITIES ARE BEING LEFT BEHIND. Residents that live outside of cities, many in low-income areas and who rely almost entirely on special districts for their municipal services, should have the same opportunity to better their communities by having access to these funds. An article by the League of Oregon Cities accurately described that the funds cities will be receiving from the ARPA will have a generational impact on their citizens. They will be able to improve their infrastructure, implement new programs and services, and help their communities recover because they are getting federal funding. Special districts will be left behind in the recovery efforts and are currently not scheduled to receive any funding!
WE IMPLORE YOU TO IMMEDIATELY CONTACT YOUR LEGISLATORS and DEMAND that the State’s budget include dedicated, line-item funding for special districts statewide that special districts can access on a needs basis.
YOU MUST ACT NOW! Don't delay, final decisions are being made on the budget right now and currently special districts are left out and will receive nothing while cities and counties receive billions. Members must make their voices heard, or we will not be successful.
Tell the following individuals that:
- Special districts provide essential services throughout the state of Oregon.
- Special districts deserve dedicated ARPA funding just like the State, cities and counties.
- Please allocate funds in the budget to fund special districts COVID-19 relief needs.
- Our original ask was for $130 million which is nothing compared to the billions the state and other local governments have received. The State should prioritize some level of funding for special districts statewide!
Call or email your local legislators:
- To identify your house representative and senator and find contact information, use this handy Legislator Lookup Tool.
Email your DEMAND to the following individuals:
- Senate President, Peter Courtney: Sen.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Speaker of the House, Tina Kotek: Rep.email@example.com
And CC the following individuals:
- Joint Committee on Ways and Means Co-Chair, Senator Betsy Johnson:
- Joint Committee on Ways and Means Co-Chair, Senator Elizabeth Steiner Hayward:
- Joint Committee on Ways and Means Co-Chair, Representative Dan Rayfield:
- Special Districts Association of Oregon: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for joining us in advocating for Oregon’s special districts