Posted: 6/21/2021 Updated: 7/19/21
Location: Culver, OR
Founded in 2008, Lake Chinook Fire and Rescue serves a population of approximately 573-year-round residents and over 1,000 homes, ranging from manufactured homes to multi-million-dollar homes. A popular year-round destination for camping and water sports, this area swells to over 5000 visitors on any given weekend during the summer. The district serves an area of approximately 105 square miles which include the Cove Palisades State Park on the Deschutes arm of Lake Billy Chinook, the Green Ridge and Three Rivers developments. Lake Chinook Fire and Rescue is a very modest fire district. The operating budget is approximately $150,000. A General Obligation bond for the new fire station was also approved and built in 2015.
The district provides fire prevention, fire suppression, wildfire response, and ALS medical response. The district shares an Ambulance Service Area with Jefferson County EMS and provides ambulance transport when staff is available. Primarily staffed by volunteers who are proud to be part of Lake Chinook Fire & Rescue, and their dedication is demonstrated every time they support and protect our customers and the many visitors to the district. The district responds to approximately 75 calls per year, with one third of the calls being medical. The RFPD is governed by an elected 5-member board of directors.
This is a highly responsible hands-on working Chief's position. Responsible for overall administration and management of the district as well as a hands-on service provider on all incidents medical and fire. This position is involved in the direction of all volunteers, response, training, and program administration under the policies of the Board of Directors. The position involves extensive collaboration with federal and state partners and plays an important role in the Central Oregon wildfire mobilization plan. The district relies heavily on the ability to secure grants in order to fund resources and much needed equipment.
- Valid State of Oregon driver's license or ability to acquire one by the time of hire.
- EMT Basic, ILS/ALS Preferred.
- NFPA Fire Officer 1 or equivalent.
- NFPA Hazards Materials Operations Level or equivalent.
- NFPA Instructor 1 or equivalent or the ability to obtain within one year.
- NFPA Firefighter 2, Pumper/operator & Fire Officer 1 certification or equivalent.
- National Incident Management System ICS 100, 200,300,400
- Minimum NWCG ICT 4 or equivalent command experience, plus experience in interface firefighting, OSFMO Mobilization I Conflagration and working with state and federal wildland partners.
- Extensive experience and training in NIMS and the willingness to work towards higher levels.
- Clean criminal background check
- Establish permanent residency within the geographical boundaries of the Fire District within Six (6) months from the date of employment.
Pay and Benefits:
Starting Salary Range: $44,000-$48,000
- 80% Medical Insurance Provided
- Employer retirement contribution (Pers OPSRP percentage)
- 10 paid Holiday
- MASA Air/Ground Transportation
- Basic Life Insurance
- District Vehicle
Desirable Starting Date: October 1, 2021
To be considered as a candidate, please submit a completed and signed application, a resume, and cover letter describing why you are interested in the position and how your experience translates to meet the requirements of the position description.
Submit by email or postal service to:
Lake Chinook Fire and Rescue
Fire Chief Hiring Process
Attn. Shanta Carter
Special Districts Association of Oregon
PO Box 23879
Tigard, Oregon 97281
Application Deadline: July 30, 2021Employment Application_Lake Chinook Fire and Rescue.docx