Keizer Fire District - Fire Chief
Location: Keizer, OR
Application Deadline: March 1, 2023
The Keizer Fire District has been protecting the Keizer community since being organized in
1948. The District also provides fire and life safety services including public safety education,
community service, and safety inspections.
Keizer Fire District is a full-service fire, rescue, and EMS agency with 40 career employees, 20
volunteer firefighters, 12 explorer scouts and 5 elected Board of Directors who serve the
District’s 39,315 citizens from one centrally located fire station. Keizer Fire District responded
to 6,469 calls for service in 2022.
The District’s mission is to protect lives, property, and the environment through quality
emergency response and community involvement. The mission is achieved by career and
volunteer professionals committed to excellence and dedicated to service in fire prevention,
emergency medical services, fire suppression, hazardous materials and natural disaster response.
The Fire Chief is the chief administrator and CEO of the Fire District and is responsible for the
total supervision and operation of the Fire District. Responsibilities might include developing plans
for fire protection, water systems, station locations, disaster preparedness, and communications.
The Fire Chief works under the supervision of the Board of Directors of the Fire District, but
independently applies leadership, fire prevention, firefighting techniques, and emergency medical
aid and procedures. The Fire Chief must demonstrate the highest standards of integrity, ethics, and
leadership and must possess keen judgment, innovation, and foresight.
The Ideal Candidate:
The ideal candidate will possess the following attributes at a minimum:
• Excellent leadership, management and team building skills including strategic planning,
personnel management, project management, problem analysis, delegation, decision
making, critical thinking, judgment, conflict resolution, adaptability/flexibility,
delegation, stress tolerance and time management.
• Strong presentation, oral and written communication skills with the ability to
communicate and present complex ideas and information, and apply appropriate
communication techniques, to various audiences.
• Strong negotiation and partnering skills with the ability to establish and maintain
cooperative and effective working relationships with the Board of Directors, command
staff, assigned personnel, union representatives, other District employees, various
professional, civic and government officials, and the general public under both regular
business and adverse/emergency conditions.
• Ability to investigate, gather and evaluate information, identify problems, and makes
logical decisions; project consequences of actions; testify in court in relation to findings
• Ability to work independently and effectively under minimal supervision.
• Ability to work under pressure, consistently meet timelines and project/program
objectives, and adjust to changing priorities.
• Ability to take personal accountability for one’s actions and responsibilities.
Education, Experience, and Certification/Licensure Required:
• Ten (10) years of progressively responsible administrative and supervisory experience
with at least five (5) years at Battalion Chief or higher level in a career or combination
(career/volunteer) organization, and
• Bachelor’s Degree in Fire Science, Public Administration, Management or related field.
OR An equivalent combination of education, training and experience sufficient to
successfully perform the essential duties of the job.
• Ability to pass the pre-employment drug test, medical exam and background check. This
background check will include a credit check because essential duties of the Fire Chief
position involve accessing the District’s sensitive financial information.
• Possess or have the ability to obtain a valid Oregon Class C driver's license and possess a
driving record that meets the District’s driving standards.
• Must be insurable through the District’s insurance provider.
• Possess or have the ability to obtain applicable certifications associated with area(s) of
• Must reside within the District boundaries within twelve months of appointment
Desirable Starting Date: June 1, 2023
Full Position Description: Click Here
Position Application: Click Here
To be considered please submit a letter of introduction, resume, and completed application
by email or postal service to:
Attn. Shanta Carter C/O Keizer Fire District Board of Directors
Keizer Fire District Fire Chief Selection Process
Special Districts Association of Oregon
PO Box 23879
Tigard, Oregon 97281