Location: Medford, Oregon
CLOSES AUGUST 14, 2020 – OPEN UNTIL FILLED
In order to be considered for this position, applicants must submit a JCLS Application, Cover Letter and Resume. The JCLS Application can be found at https://jcls.org/jcld/employment These items must be turned in to the Human Resources Department no later than Friday, August 14, 2020 at Midnight PST. Materials can be submitted by emailing to email@example.com. Only candidates with complete materials and who meet the minimum qualifications of the position will be considered.
The Executive Assistant performs a variety of specialized, complex, and confidential administrative services for the Library Director and the members of the Board of Directors in support of Library District operations, functions, and programs. Coordinates Board and Board committee meetings, and is involved in executive sessions regarding legal, real property, and other complex issues. Properly notices and records meetings in accordance with public records and meetings laws. The Executive Assistant coordinates the Director’s schedule and maintains current policies for the Library and Board.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES SUPPORT TO THE LIBRARY DIRECTOR
• Serves as confidential assistant to the Library Director.
• Organizes and maintains the District’s central file system; performs archiving and records retention activities using the Oregon State Records Retention Schedule; maintains files of current District policies and procedures, Board of Directors’ actions and meeting background materials.
• Ensures compliance with Oregon public records and meetings laws, including proper noticing of meetings and maintaining appropriate records retention schedule.
• Coordinates registration and travel for Director, Board members and other staff, as directed.
• Ensures the Library Director and Board members submit mileage and expense reimbursement requests in a timely manner.
• Formats, proofreads, edits, and composes routine documents from information supplied by draft, or written or oral instructions.
• Creates and maintains a detailed calendar of events, meetings and other activities requiring the Library Director’s attendance; ensures the Director is cognizant of the calendar and has all required information and other materials for such functions.
• Coordinates administrative staff meetings and schedules.
• Gathers and collates statistics from Library Departments for the State Annual Statistical Report.
• Gathers and analyzes data and prepare reports, memoranda and other correspondence.
SUPPORT TO THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
• Prepares, publishes, and disseminates meeting agendas, minutes, reports, information items, resolutions, and other documents for various public meetings including board meetings, committee meetings, and executive sessions.
• Coordinates, attends, and records various public meetings including board meetings, committee meetings, and executive sessions. Makes logistical arrangements and coordinates presentations and guests needed.
• Maintains Board Policy Handbook, including facilitating drafts of new and revised policies for review and approval.
• Provides administrative support to the Board during their annual evaluation of the Library Director as well as the Board's self-evaluation.
• Serves as the District’s elections coordinator and authorized contact with County elections offices.
• Provides administrative support to the Board in its appointment of Committee members, including budget committee members.
• Manages the Board calendar. Ensures recurring items are scheduled and annual responsibilities completed. Communicates with Board members to ensure awareness of meeting dates, subject matter, and responsibilities. Disseminates as appropriate.
• Maintains accuracy of information posted on the District’s website and the staff Intranet for Administrative and Board of Directors sections, including policies and procedures; agendas and minutes, ensuring updates are posted as needed.
• Tracks and documents Board and committee member hours and provides reports as assigned.
• Administers the Board Member Orientation Handbook.
• Drafts and monitors the annual budget for Board training and development.
• Assists with front office communications between patrons, staff, Board and committee members, and community members.
• May provide administrative support and/or project management support for assigned District projects.
• Regular attendance.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Knowledge of office procedures, methods and equipment.
• Familiarity with parliamentary procedure as it relates to Board of Directors’ meetings.
• Oregon State records retention rules and Oregon State Public Records & Public Meetings Laws.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office (including Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook) and Adobe.
• Ability to handle multiple project assignments and meet deadlines.
• Work a flexible schedule including occasional evenings and weekends.
• Be able to take accurate and concise notes (meeting minutes).
• Express ideas clearly and concisely verbally and in writing; be discreet and use good judgment when dealing with confidential matters.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, public and private officials, Library Director, the Board of Directors, and the public.
• Consistently demonstrate effective customer service behavior(s).
• Interact in a professional and respectful manner with District staff and the public.
• Maintain confidentiality of customer information.
• Use initiative, problem-solving skills, and sound judgment.
• Work quickly and accurately; follow directions; meet deadlines.
QUALIFICATIONS MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
1. An Associate's degree in Business Administration or related field and four (4) years of progressively responsible administrative experience, or six total years of experience.
2. At least three (3) years of the experience, must have included support of executive management and external communication on behalf of the executive.
1. Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution.
2. Experience working with a governing board.
3. Preference will be given to candidates with library experience.
• Criminal background check required.
• Must have valid driver’s license and required mandatory insurance when operating a privately owned vehicle for business purposes.
• Must be able to travel to other locations to perform work, and/or attend work-related meetings, workshops or conferences.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is continuously required to communicate by talking and listening, use of fingers and hands, repetitive motion and sitting. Frequently required to stand, walk, reach, and feel. Occasionally bend, stoop, grasp and rarely to feel, kneel or crawl. The position requires mobility, including the ability to move materials weighing up to 5 pounds on a regular basis such as files, books, office equipment, etc. May infrequently require moving materials weighing up to 30 pounds.
• Reading for comprehension and direction, (policies & procedures).
• Speaking to share/respond, to maintain relationships and to convey instructions and/or direction.
• Various equipment includes computers with a keyboard and mouse, telephone, and other electronic devices to share documents, information and discussion.
• Interaction with library customers, Foundation Board, library staff, and the management team.
• May include stressful situations related to negotiating or resolving problems.
• Attendance at occasional evening/weekend meetings and/or social/business events.
This position is placed at range I on the JCLS salary schedule, and has a starting salary range of $41,141 to $46,429 per year. The full salary range is $41,141 to $51,529. Placement on the salary schedule is based upon education and experience.
JCLS offers a competitive benefits package including 401(a), medical, dental and vision coverage to employees and qualified dependents. In addition, JCLS provides vacation, sick leave and paid holidays.
After the preliminary screening, selected candidates will be invited for an initial interview. Videoconference interviews (in lieu of an in-person initial interview) will be offered. Candidates to be interviewed will be selected from applicants who most closely meet the minimum and desired qualifications. Meeting the minimum qualifications does not guarantee an interview. JCLS reserves the right to re-advertise the position or to delay indefinitely filling of the position if it is deemed that applicants for the position do not constitute an adequate applicant pool or if funding is not available.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Employees must satisfy all of the pre-employment requirements prior to appointment that include, but are not limited to; verification of their legal right to work in the United States, and a background check.
Applicants requiring reasonable accommodations in completing the application or the interview process must notify the Human Resources Department in advance.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
JCLS provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment, and prohibits discrimination and harassment, of any type, without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, marital status, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training. The organization employs affirmative personnel measures to ensure the achievement of equal employment opportunities in all aspects of employment, and the work environment. These policies of nondiscrimination will prevail throughout every aspect of the employment relationship, including recruitment, selection, compensation, promotion, transfer, layoff, termination, training, and conflict resolution.
Materials can be submitted by emailing to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only candidates with complete materials and who meet the minimum qualifications of the position will be considered.