Salary: $39,182 - $49,075 Per Year
Location: Medford, Or
With more than 200 days of sunshine each year, Jackson County, Oregon is located midway between Portland and San Francisco. The region boasts beautiful valleys and mountain lakes, wineries, wild rivers, easy access to the Redwoods and coast, and cultural entertainment to rival big cities. Jackson County Library Services (JCLS) serves the 220,000 residents of Jackson County with 15 branch libraries. The mission of the Jackson County Library District is to connect everyone to information, ideas, and each other. We provide a wide range of children’s, teen, and adult physical and electronic resources and collections as well as outreach services, including booktalks for elementary and middle school students, services for homebound patrons, and outreach to childcare centers. Our ever-changing calendar of programs and events is diverse, including musical performances, lectures, art exhibits, classes, book groups, storytimes, and more.
The Digital Services Specialist is headquartered in Medford and scheduled at branches throughout Jackson County to provide one-on-one assistance for people’s library-related needs and technology questions. This position will provide individual and group instruction to patrons and library staff, introducing the community to 21st-century technology skills.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Delivers technology assistance during scheduled times in branches and through individual appointments with the public.
- Evaluates the community’s needs and recommends specific programs and technology solutions.
- Develops, coordinates and delivers public technology training programs that promotes the library and its services within the Jackson County community.
- Provides technology training for staff.
- Serves as a library technology liaison between the library and the community.
- Uses computers and computer systems (including hardware and software) to program, write software, set up functions, enter data, or process information.
- Provides information and classes to community groups about library services.
- Serves on initiative teams involving library staff and community stakeholders to launch pilot efforts that test or advance the library’s digital offerings.
- Develops constructive and cooperative working relationships with others, and maintains them over time.
- Creates training documents and videos for staff and patrons.
- Regular attendance.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Experience in developing and delivering training to a wide range of audiences with varying aptitudes.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Work independently in the absence of immediate supervision.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Excellent organizational skills; must be able to manage multiple tasks and priorities.
- Excellent customer service skills including the ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with library management, patrons, community representatives, the public and others encountered in the course of work.
- Able to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel and Word.
- Knowledge of computer programs including word processing, spreadsheets, email, e-books, tablet-type devices and peripherals.
- Possess an in-depth knowledge and understanding of social media platforms, and their respective participants, (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Pinterest, etc.), and how each platform can be deployed in different scenarios.
- Conducting research on programs.
- Must be flexible and adaptable to changing situations.
- Ability to multitask and work with competing interests.
- Complies with safety requirements of the position and actively promotes safe work practices.
- Actively supports and respects diversity in the workplace.
QUALIFICATIONS MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Bachelor’s Degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- Three years of library experience.
- Criminal background check required.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is continuously required to communicate by talking and listening, use of fingers and hands, repetitive motion and sitting. Frequently required to stand, walk, reach, sit and feel. Occasionally bend, stoop, grasp and rarely to feel, kneel or crawl. The position requires mobility, including the ability to move materials weighing up to 5 pounds on a regular basis such as files, books, office equipment, etc., may infrequently require moving materials weighing up to 20 pounds. Manual dexterity and coordination are required over [75%] of the work period while operating equipment such as computer keyboard, calculator, and standard office equipment. Travel to other district locations and/or to workshops/professional meetings/conferences. This level has a work environment that is well protected, with virtually no hazards or obstacles. There is very little element of personal risk or hazard. Job conditions are stable, usually well managed, and very comfortable. Conditions may consist of the following:
- Reading for comprehension and direction (policies & procedures)
- Speaking to share, respond and maintain relationships or to convey instructions and/or direction
- Presenting to a wide range of ages and audiences to inspire lifelong learning
- Considerable cognitive process to make effective decisions for non-routine work
- Various equipment includes computers with a keyboard and mouse, telephone, and other electronic devices to share documents, information and discussion
- Deadlines and changing priorities with multiple demands on time
- Attendance at evening and weekend meetings and/or social/business events
- Available for emergencies and off-schedule contacts
This position is placed at range I on the JCLS salary schedule, and has a starting salary range of $18.84 to $20.01 per hour. The full salary range is $18.84 to $23.59 per hour and $39,182 to $49,075 per year. Placement on the salary schedule is based upon education and experience.
JCLS offers a competitive benefits package including 401(a), medical, dental and vision coverage to employees and qualified dependents. In addition, JCLS provides vacation, sick leave and paid holidays.
After the preliminary screening, selected candidates will be invited for an initial interview. Videoconference interviews (in lieu of an in-person initial interview) will be offered. Candidates to be interviewed will be selected from applicants who most closely meet the minimum and desired qualifications. Meeting the minimum qualifications does not guarantee an interview. JCLS reserves the right to re-advertise the position or to delay indefinitely filling of the position if it is deemed that applicants for the position do not constitute an adequate applicant pool or if funding is not available.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Employees must satisfy all of the pre-employment requirements prior to appointment that include, but are not limited to; verification of their legal right to work in the United States, and a background check.
Applicants requiring reasonable accommodations in completing the application or the interview process must notify the Human Resources Department in advance.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
JCLS provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment, and prohibits discrimination and harassment, of any type, without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, marital status, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training. The organization employs affirmative personnel measures to ensure the achievement of equal employment opportunities in all aspects of employment, and the work environment. These policies of nondiscrimination will prevail throughout every aspect of the employment relationship, including recruitment, selection, compensation, promotion, transfer, layoff, termination, training, and conflict resolution.
In order to be considered for this position, applicants must submit a JCLS Application, Cover Letter and Resume. The JCLS Application can be found at https://jcls.org/jcld/employment These items must be turned in to the Human Resources Department no later than March 3, 2021 at Midnight PST. Materials can be submitted by emailing to email@example.com. Only candidates with complete materials and who meet the minimum qualifications of the position will be considered.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Closes March 3, 2021- Open until filled.