Posted: 9/1/2021 Updated: 10/21/21
Salary: $70,000 - $80,000
Location: Corbett, OR
The Corbett Water District is located 30 miles east of Portland, Oregon in East Multnomah County and was founded in 1932. Corbett Water District serves residential, state parks, schools, and agriculture customers and currently has 1,083 connections. A portion of the Water District is within the Columbia Gorge National Scenic Area. The District’s main goal is to provide clean and safe water for the community.
The District Manager is responsible for planning, organizing, and directing the operations of capital improvements to the District water system and managing District activities on behalf of the Board within the established policy and budget. The District Manager plans, supervises, directs, and reviews the work of District staff and contractors.
General Position Summary:
The Corbett Water District Manager manages District activities, on behalf of the Board, within established policy and budget; plan, supervise, direct, and review the work of District staff.
The overall purpose of this position is to assure a safe and adequate drinking supply to the customers of the Corbett Water District.
Essential Functions/Major Assignments:
- Develops, implements and evaluates Corbett Water District programs, policies and procedures to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of the District.
- Works with Board appointed committee and staff to develop and present annual budget request.
- Monitor revenue and expenditures to ensure adherence to approved budget.
- Reviews and approves purchase orders, construction standards, and plans and specifications for systems improvements.
- Receives and resolves citizen complaints and concerns regarding District activities and personnel; presents to the Board for possible action or guidance for unresolved complaints from citizens.
- Coordinates projects with various utilities and governmental agencies.
- Prepares reports regarding District activities and coordinate personnel and equipment needs.
- Develops and implements long range maintenance and construction plans in conjunction with the Board, including the Master Plan.
- Develop plans, schedules, and budgets for tasks and projects.
- Attends meetings and seminars as requested or directed.
- Identifies and corrects safety deficiencies.
- Maintain work areas in a clean and orderly manner.
- Plan for and attend regular monthly meetings of the Board of Commissioners; plan for and attend other meetings as needed.
Staff Supervision Responsibility
- Recruit qualified employees using Equal Opportunity Employment Practices. Responsible for full recruitment process of all positions incorporating appropriate recruitment policies and procedures and ensuring compliance with applicable State and Federal legislation.
- Responsible for full supervision of District employees including assigning and reviewing work, establishing work schedules, evaluating performance, training, and recommend compensation and recommending promotions and disciplinary actions within established policy.
- Reviews and determines actions related to leave requests in compliance with policies and State and Federal legislation.
- Responsible for maintaining current employee policies and policy manual and appropriately applying all Corbett Water Districts policies.
Water Operations and Maintenance
- Manages and oversees District operations and maintenance.
- Prepares annual plan for the District and submits monthly work report to the Board of Commissioners or assigned Board member(s).
- Plans, organizes, and directs system maintenance and repair tasks as performed by District field and office personnel and/or contractors; determines methods, equipment, material and staffing needs, and prioritizes and schedules projects.
- Procures and administers various system improvement and consulting contracts with the assistance of the Board of Commissioners and District Clerk.
- All other duties as assigned
- Provides full supervision to all of Corbett Water District; inclusive of both exempt and non-exempt, temporary and seasonal
- Will have regular communication inside and outside the organization to exchange ideas and gather information.
Specific Job Knowledge, Skill and Ability:
- Knowledge of water system improvement planning and implementation: budgeting, scheduling, permitting and construction, public works, including water system management, government budget and finance principles and practices.
- Customer Service principles.
- Employment practices, implementation of personnel policies and collective bargaining agreements.
- Must have the ability to assist District personnel in the performance of their duties as workload and staffing levels dictate.
- Must have knowledge of and ability to follow all safety rules and procedures as established for work areas and ensure that subordinates comply with safety rules and procedures.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with staff, public, contractors, and Board.
- Must be able to effectively use the Microsoft Office Suite of computer programs including, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- There is a regular need for assessment of risk, analysis of options and decisions without complete information.
- Regular need for the development of new processes and procedures or the redesign of interrelated processes and procedures is needed.
Education, Experience, and Certification/Licensure:
- Minimum of two years of college education preferably in management, administration or related field.
- Minimum of five years experience working in the capacity of a manager, preferably in a related field
- Current CPR/First Aid card
- Must be available for “on-call” duty
- A valid driver’s license.
- An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job
- Previous experience in a supervisory capacity strongly preferred
- Previous experience working for a public entity preferred
- Previous experience developing budgets
- Previous experience working in a unionized organization
- This position operates in a variety of settings and conditions; including in office and outside during any weather condition
- Work is typically conducted during regular office hours but dependent upon demand the schedule may vary to include evenings and weekend, inclusive of being available for after hours call out.
- Routinely uses standard office equipment, especially computers and mobile devices
- While performing the duties of this position, the employee is frequently required to drive, sit, stand, kneel, communicate, reach, and manipulate objects, tools, or controls. The position requires mobility.
- The employee must occasionally lift or move office products and supplies, up to 25 pounds.
Pay and Benefits:
Starting Salary Range: $70,000 - $80,000 annually
Desirable Starting Date:
To be considered as a candidate, please submit a completed and signed application, a resume, and cover letter describing why you are interested in the position and how your experience translates to meet the requirements of the position description.
Submit by email or postal service to:
Attn. Shanta Carter
Corbett Water District
District Manager Hiring Process
Special Districts Association of Oregon
PO Box 23879 Tigard, Oregon 97281
Closing Date: November 5, 2021Corbett Water District Employment Application.docxPosition Announcement - Corbett Water District - District Manager-extended.pdf