Salary: $5,614 - $8,627
EMPLOYABLE LANDS! It’s a big job. Help an entire state not only recover from the economic disruption of the pandemic but also help bring prosperity to all Oregonians. The State of Oregon recognizes the importance of industrial land development. Moreover, how critical it is for not only job creation but also economic development. Consider joining us as we assist communities across the state make their lands more employable. The Oregon Business Development Department dba Business Oregon, the state’s economic development agency, is currently hiring an Industrial Lands Specialist (Operations & Policy Analyst 4).
Note: Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic this position will work from home until further notice. Once we have returned to the office, this position will have the flexibility to continue to work remotely or in one of our offices.
What you will do!
- Coordinate and administer the Oregon Industrial Site Certification Program to maintain a ready supply of industrial sites for business expansion and recruitment.
- Provide department services and technical assistance to communities and landowners to achieve site certification. Determine infrastructure needs by working with state agencies, including DEQ, ODOT, DSL, DLCD, cities, counties, ports, tribes and private landowners to help determine infrastructure such as roads, utilities, waste clean-up, or environmental mitigation to achieve certification of sites. Provide technical assistance in solving problems or issues that cross-organizational lines.
- Technical expertise and guidance in areas of threatened and endangered species, land-use, tribal relations, and infrastructure development
- Develop, coordinate and administer the Oregon Industrial Site Readiness Programs (SB246 & SB253) commensurate with resources available to maintain a ready supply of industrial sites for business expansion and recruitment.
- Act as the initial and direct contact between landowner’s sponsors and developers or their agents and the Department’s Industrial Site Readiness programs.
- Evaluate applications, complete interagency staff report, and make recommendation to Director.
- Market and promote industrial lands for sale or lease through the Department’s Prospector website and events.
- Participate in Regional Solutions Coordinator and Advisory Committee Meetings, as appropriate and maintain regular communications with Regional Solutions Manager on industrial lands matters of significance to the department.
Business Oregon strives to create an inclusive environment that welcomes and values the diversity of the people we serve. We foster fairness, equity, and inclusion to create a workplace environment where everyone is treated with respect and dignity.
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they meet every one of the qualifications listed. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may be one who comes from a less traditional background. We would encourage you to apply, even if you don't meet every one of our qualifications listed. If you are unsure whether you meet the qualifications of this position, please feel free to contact us to discuss your application.
The ideal candidate will possess a combination of some or all of the following skills: Economic and community development.
- Experience planning, process mapping and political decision making throughout the land use strategic development and industrial lands certification processes.
- State agency land use. Knowledge and experience with policies, practices, and commercial real estate.
- Communication. Experience working well with people and helping lead and influence people with diverse backgrounds and interests toward a common purpose or objective.
- Building community or business alliances and partnerships to leverage resources.
- Economic development. Skill in viewing and addressing comprehensive economic development principles, while understanding how regional strategies relate to all of the other parts of economic development in the state.
Please note: if you are interested in applying for this position, you must attach your current cover letter and resume to your application. Failure to submit the required resume and cover letter will remove your application from consideration.
What you need to qualify…
A Bachelor's Degree in Business or Public Administration, Behavioral or Social Sciences, Finance, Political Science or any degree demonstrating the capacity for the knowledge and skills; and five years professional-level evaluative, analytical and planning work.
Any combination of experience and education equivalent to eight years of experience of evaluative, analytical and planning work.
What Business Oregon does:
Business Oregon is the economic development agency for the state of Oregon. We have about 140 people on our team, and we work with communities and businesses. We use our programs and expertise to help businesses grow, so they can in turn add jobs, diversify the economy, and increase Oregon prosperity. We work with communities to enhance and expand infrastructure and community safety with projects such as water/wastewater systems, seismic rehabilitation for schools, or rural broadband development. This also sets the stage for future business development. Our mission is to invest in Oregon’s businesses, communities, and people to promote a globally competitive, diverse, and inclusive economy, all carried out with an agency strategic plan.
How to Apply Please Note: Applications must be submitted no later than 11:59 PM on October 7th, 2021.
- Visit to complete your online application.
- Attach your current cover letter and resume. Failure to submit the required resume and cover letter will remove your application from consideration.
- Complete the questionnaire.
- The candidates whose work experience most closely matches the qualifications and skills of this position will be invited to interview.
- Warning! – Workday will timeout after 20 minutes of inactivity and will not save your application progress. You must submit your application after you begin the process.
- It is our policy to provide reasonable accommodations to all applicants who may need them. Should you need assistance or an accommodation please contact Sarah Flores in Employee Services to discuss how we can best meet your needs.
- The State of Oregon is requiring all executive branch employees to complete their COVID-19 vaccination series by October 18, 2021 unless the employee receives a medical or religious exception. New employees must submit vaccination documentation or be approved for an exception by October 18, 2021. For more information, visit our policy listed here.
- Veterans’ Preference - Eligible veterans who meet the qualifications will be given veterans' preference. If you checked that you are a veteran, we will ask you for your documents later in the process. Click on the following link for additional information. Veterans’ Preference
- Criminal Records Check - Hiring of the successful candidate will be contingent upon the results of a Criminal Background Check. Adverse background data may be grounds for immediate disqualification.
- Work Authorization - The Oregon Business Development Department does not offer visa sponsorship. Within three days of hire, all applicants will be required to complete the US Department of Homeland Security's Form I-9, confirming authorization to work in the United States.
- This recruitment will be used to establish a list of qualified candidates to fill the current position and may be used to fill future vacancies as they occur.
- This position is a management service, full-time position and is not represented by a union.
- PERS – This is a PERS qualifying position. After a six month waiting period eligible Management Service, Executive Service, and Unrepresented employees will have their base pay increased by 6.95% and the 6% PERS contribution deducted from their base pay rather than a direct 6% contribution by the State of Oregon to the employees PERS account. This will mirror the bargained SEIU and AFSCME PERS process.
- Are you looking to live in and experience Oregon? Learn more about life in Pendleton, Salem and Portland.
Need help? For questions about this job, contact Sarah Flores, HR Analyst in Employee Services at 458-221-0205 or email Sarah.J.Flores@oregon.gov
October 7, 2021