Salary: $5,010 - $6,777 per month
Location: Tigard, OR
Tualatin Valley Fire and Rescue provides the unique opportunity to support first responders, and provides a meaningful way to contribute to the TVF&R mission. The successful candidate will be part of a great, inclusive team of HR professionals focused on the well-being of all District personnel.
The Leaves and Benefits Specialist consistently provides benefits administration, leaves processing support and vital information to first responders and support personnel who work to support our communities.
As our ideal Leaves and Benefits Specialist, you can expect to:
- Engage with first responders and support personnel in regard to their work, and non-work, related injuries and illnesses.
- Compassionately support District personnel through exceptional customer service, communication, and emotional intelligence.
- Effectively multi-tasks on a variety of leaves and benefits responsibilities within established deadlines.
- Professionally engage and interact with process partners, including internal partners, Union, and leaves and benefits vendors.
- Curiously analyze and identify where issues are occurring, while creatively and proactively coming up with solutions.
Details on what the ideal candidate brings to the team and our benefits package can be found in the recruitment flyer.
If you are short of meeting one or more of the below listed requirements, consideration of candidates for an alternate position may be considered.
Consideration of candidates will begin immediately and the posting may close without notice when a sufficient number of qualified candidates are received.
Example of Duties
The broadly defined essential functions of this position include, but are not limited to, the following duties and responsibilities:
- Processes routine and complex leaves of absence requests and workers compensation claims. Responds to questions, assists employees and coordinates with other departments related to leaves.
- Responds to benefit questions, processes enrollments, meets with new and departing employees, troubleshoots retiree questions and vendor billing, and assists with non-union’s annual open enrollment.
- Maintains and audits records related to leaves and benefits.
- Special projects supporting Organizational Health
For a complete description of each of these areas of responsibility, as well as the secondary functions, we invite you to review the job description.
- Associate degree, preferably in business administration, business management, or related field. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Four years of experience in a human resources business unit with two and a half years reviewing, tracking and processing workers’ compensation, FMLA, and ADA accommodation requests.
Certifications & Licensures
- Human resources certification (e.g., CEBS, PHR, SHRM-CP, etc.)
- Thorough level knowledge and understanding of applicable local, state, and federal laws rules and regulations related to human resources practices, specifically Oregon Family Leave Act (OFLA), Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), workers’ compensation, and Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) laws.
- Ability to perform the full range of duties, working independently, applying well-developed subject knowledge, and exercising judgement and initiative within established guidelines.
- Advanced knowledge of Outlook, Word, and Excel.
For additional information on the requirements for this position, we invite you to review the job description.
*Consideration of candidates will begin immediately and the posting may close without notice when a sufficient number of qualified candidates are received.*
The selection process will comprise of a minimum qualification review, a Microsoft Outlook, Excel, and Word competency test, and an on-site panel interview.
The monthly salary range within a step system for this position is $5,010 - $6,777 per month. The starting pay assignment, based on a candidate's bona fide factor analysis in accordance with the District's pay equity system and the Oregon Equal Pay Act and will be in the range of $5,010 - $6,008 per month. The maximum of $6,777 can be attained after five years contingent on performance.
TVF&R evaluates each applicant's work history and responses to supplemental questions. Please be sure to thoroughly answer the application's supplemental questions to ensure our subject matter experts can appropriately evaluate your experience and qualifications. To reduce barriers to entry, TVF&R evaluates an applicant's work history and responses to these supplemental questions rather than requiring cover letters and resumes.
Potential to Underfill:
If you are short of meeting one or more of these requirements, consideration of candidates for an alternate position may be considered.
It is the District's policy to provide eligible veterans with preference as required by law. Applicants must provide certification of eligibility for entitlement to the preference (e.g. DD-214 long form clearly showing discharge status) with the application submission by the closing date of the posting.
The location for this position is the Command Business Operations Center, located in Tigard, OR. Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue strives to provide exceptional internal and external customer service. To ensure a collaborative and supportive environment with both the public we serve and our coworkers, employees predominantly perform their work on-site at the assigned work location.
TVF&R is an equal employment opportunity employer and seeks to attract a diverse workforce that reflects the community we serve in order to deliver safe, profession, and high-performance service.