Salary: $96,000.00 - $117,000.00
Location: Sweet Home, OR
Sweet Home Fire and Ambulance District a Rural Fire District is currently recruiting qualified applicants to fill the position of Fire Chief.
Location: Located in Linn County Oregon on the west side of the Cascade Range along the east edge of the Willamette Valley. The area is sometimes referred to as the “Gateway to the Santiam Playground due to its proximity to nearby lakes, rivers, and the Cascade Mountains”.
General Position Summary:
The Fire Chief is the executive head of the Fire and Ambulance District and is directly responsible for proper and efficient fire department operations. The Fire Chief will perform emergency duties as necessary, including assuming the role of Incident Command or functioning as the fire department representative to the Emergency Operations Center during major incidents. Typical administrative work will include preparing detailed management and operational reports on district activities, proactively managing personnel matters, and managing the district budget strategy.
Qualifications for the successful applicant include:
- Extensive knowledge of all applicable federal, state, and local laws and ordinances related to Oregon fire services, and public meeting laws for Oregon Special Districts and Fire Districts.
- Minimum Oregon Certified EMT Basic
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with others, both orally and in writing, using both technical and non-technical language. Use of those methods to defuse confrontation, develop consensus, and achieve goals and desired outcomes.
- Demonstrated effective communication, speaking, and listening skills.
- Demonstrated use of logical and creative thought processes to develop solutions.
- Demonstrated ability to operate personal computers using standard or customized software and equipment specific to the needs of the District. He or she will be required to prepare, analyze, and present comprehensive reports containing findings and recommendations, display a knowledge of budgeting principles and work independently. The position requires knowledge of public administration principles and practices. Knowledge of modern office procedures, methods, electronic equipment, and computer applications. Ability and willingness to acquire and use new skills and knowledge is also required.
- Integrity, ingenuity, and inventiveness are a necessity in the performance of the position.
- Demonstrated timely and appropriate response to citizen or community issues.
Education, Experience, Certifications and Licenses Required:
- A minimum of an associate degree in Fire Science, Fire Service Administration, Paramedicine, Public or Business Administration
- A minimum of 10 years fulltime experience in the fire service.
- A minimum of 5 years of supervisory experience in the fire service comparable to a Battalion Chief or higher. (The 5 years may be part of the 10 years of full-time employment).
- Must hold a minimum of an EMT Intermediate certification.
- Principles and practices of department administration, fire prevention sciences; including public fire education, inspection, and investigation, are required qualities of the position.
- Any combination of education, training, and/or experience that demonstrates equivalent requirements may be considered at the discretion of the Fire District.
Salary Range: $96,000.00 – $117,000.00
Benefits: Competitive benefit program that includes, PERS retirement, family health insurance, life insurance, paid vacation, and holidays.
Desirable Starting Date: June 1, 2022
Full Position Description: Click Here
Position Application: Click Here
To be considered please submit a letter of introduction, resume, and completed application by email or postal service to:
Sweet Home Fire District
Fire Chief Selection Process
Special Districts Association of Oregon
PO Box 23879
Tigard, Oregon 97281
Application Deadline: February 4, 2022