Salary: $22 per hour to start DOQ
Location: Stayton, OR
Under general direction, perform a wide variety of financial, administrative, and clerical duties to support the Santiam Water Control District.
Independently complete QuickBooks technical accounting duties related to the processing and review of; accounts payable, District payroll, accounts receivable, debt collection, project accounting and customer service as they relate to annual utility billing; Performs advanced general ledger functions, reconciliations; Maintains a high level of professional and technical standards in applying generally accepted accounting principles in the maintenance of accounting records, contracts, budgets, and state and federal grant administration.
Plan, organize, direct, and supervise the District Board’s agenda preparation and public meeting operations; to coordinate and maintain official District documents and records; to conduct District elections; to serve as secretary and to provide highly complex and diverse assistance to the General Manager.
The office manager must be experienced and have medium to advanced QuickBooks and accounting experience. Applicants must have a background in bookkeeping and be self-directed with sharp organizational skills.
While primary duties are related to the financial administration of the district, the tasks of this position change from day to day and from season to season. Applicants must be able to balance the urgency of changing daily priorities with the recurring projects and tasks that occur throughout the year.
The position provides direct support to the General Manager on District-wide issues. Assignments from the General Manager may be quite varied in scope and include data gathering, analysis, and writing projects as well as responsible and confidential administrative support tasks. Support for the Board of Directors focuses on their meeting notices, agenda packet preparation, and minute preparation requirements.
This position reports to and serves “at will” to the General Manager. This position does not have supervisory authority.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The duties listed below are illustrative only and are not meant to be a complete and exhaustive listing of all the duties and responsibilities of this position. Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned.
- Create, organize, and maintain District QuickBooks accounting files, databases, and records, including payroll files and expenditure records; Prepare journal entries and reconcile general ledger, journals, and bank statements; Audit, review, input, and process customer accounts receivable, project accounting, and accounts payable as they relate to a small utility, process employee timesheets, bank statements; post, verify and balance District accounts; prepare accounts payable for payment processing.
- Manage and oversee the District’s external independent audit including preparation of a variety of journal entries; process and coordinate year end reconciliation of journals and ledgers; schedule and assist in annual financial audit process, including working with independent auditor to reconcile budget and general ledger financial statements and resolution of auditor findings.
- Assist customers with utility accounts and the public in person, or by phone answering inquiries related to department records and services; provide information regarding customer account status; process opening and closing of accounts; work with customers on payment arrangements and extensions; update utility billing accounts and water delivery contracts. Assist customers with completion of forms and documents as a small water utility; respond to customer complaints and inquiries.
- Assist in the development and, responsible for preparation and distribution of Board and committee meeting agendas and related materials; prepare public meeting and hearing notices; post agendas and notices in accordance with public meeting law requirements. Attend regular and special District Board meetings, study sessions, and administrative committees; record, prepare, and distribute minutes; maintain files of minutes, resolutions, and Board actions.
- Serve as Custodian of Records; oversee development and maintenance of the District’s records management program including implementation of Board adopted records retention schedule; ensure timely and accurate response to requests from the public for access to required documents and records.
- Serve as the District’s Election Official; conduct and/or coordinate Board elections, both regular and special; act as filing officer for conflict-of-interest statements.
- Provides confidential secretarial and administrative assistance to the General Manager; transcribes, composes, and types a variety of confidential correspondence and reports; Reviews letters, reports, records, and other items for accuracy, completeness, and compliance with established standards; uses a personal computer to perform word processing, spreadsheet, database, e-mail, and Office365 and other specialized functions.
- Builds and maintains positive working relationships with co-workers, other employees, the Board, the public and other agencies using principles of good customer service.
- Performs other related work as required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Principles and practices of office management at an executive level in a special district.
- Modern principles and practices of general and governmental accounting, funds accounting, auditing, budgeting, cash management, payroll, utility billing practices
- Pertinent local, State and Federal rules, regulations, and laws
- Procedures, precedents, and requirements related to the conduct and records maintenance for Board of Directors' meetings.
- Principles of budget development and expenditure control, including capital improvement budgets
- Modern office methods, procedures and equipment including computers and industry related software.
- Experience with water rights, GIS mapping and other farm related activities would be helpful.
- Personal attributes of friendliness and trustworthiness.
- Ability to work both autonomously or in a team environment.
- Interpret and apply District rules, laws and policies. Take responsibility and use good judgment in applying and exercising District authorities.
- Attend Board of Directors meetings; prepare and coordinate related documents.
- Analyze problems, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions and implement recommendations approved by the General Manager in support of goals.
- Exemplify excellent public relations skills, including dealing effectively with the public, elected officials and District staff, both in person and over the telephone.
- Effectively communicate and work comfortably in a team-oriented, collaborative management environment.
- Deal positively with confrontation and controversial issues. Build trust and respect
- Perform difficult and complex office assistance, record keeping, and administrative detail work with speed and accuracy.
- Assist District management with Board agenda preparation and Board recordkeeping and administrative functions.
- Take notes or dictation at meetings and transcribe accurately.
- Deal tactfully and courteously with others in answering questions, disseminating information, and providing assistance with District policies and operations.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Understand and carry out oral and written directions.
Education, Training and/or Experience
Any combination of training, education and experience which demonstrates possession of the knowledge and abilities stated above and the ability to perform the duties of the position is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the requisite knowledge and abilities would be:
- Five (5) years of experience performing moderately difficult account record keeping, preferably involving accounts payable/receivable or utility billing and payroll, preferably with a government utility, with at least two (2) years of direct QuickBooks experience.
- At least two (2) years of experience as a confidential secretary to an administrative official, including the preparation of and distribution of agenda and legal documents such as those utilized by a public agency governing board.
- Graduation from high school or equivalent.
Licenses and Certification
- Oregon Notary Public commission within 90 days is required.
Physical and Sensory Requirements
This classification emphasizes speech, hearing and vision. The incumbent works primarily in an office environment and must be able to perform tasks requiring both sitting and standing for extended periods of time up to 8 hours per day, and may require walking for short periods at a time; may require occasional bending, stretching, reaching, twisting, and turning; lift and carry, and push/pull up to twenty (20) pounds; ability to see well enough to read computer monitors and documents; ability to hear well enough to receive information over the telephone and to take minutes in a public meeting amid background noise; hand and finger dexterity sufficient to operate computer keyboards; ability to attend night meetings; attentiveness and concentration necessary to perform multiple tasks concurrently.
Reasonable accommodations will be considered.
Information obtained and used in this position is of a confidential nature and cannot be shared with unauthorized persons within or outside the District.
Interested applicants are asked to send letters of interest, resume, three professional references that demonstrate your knowledge, skills and abilities in the areas listed above. In addition, a completed and signed Application for Employment is required. Please email or visit santiamwater.com to request an application.
The Position is open immediately and until filled.
Email responses with .pdf attachments sent to email@example.com are preferred.
Or by mail at
Santiam Water Control District
284 E Water St.
Stayton OR. 97383
No telephone inquiries, please.