Salary: $62,441.29 - $89,026.37
Location: Salem, OR
Open Until Filled
Under the leadership of the Security and Emergency Management Manager, this position performs a wide variety of administrative duties of considerable complexity administering many of Cherriots occupational and industrial safety processes. The Safety Coordinator will identify and evaluate hazardous conditions and practices and develop, in concert with management, hazard control practices and programs. This role will review accident statistics, develop an overall safety program plan and draft sound, preventive policies and procedures.
How You Will Make an Impact
- Develop and maintain safety policies, plans, procedures, and a proactive SMS/Agency Safety Plan. Verify compliance with the SMS/Agency Safety Plan and the Accident Prevention Program with relevant legislation, guidelines, and standards.
- Develop realistic and data-driven safety performance indicators and safety performance targets.
- Administer drug and alcohol testing program in accordance with company policy and Federal Transit Administration (FTA) regulations; act as the Designated Employer Representative (DER).
- Develop training activities and awareness programs; conduct training or coordinate the provision of training on pertinent safety and risk management issues (e.g., hazardous materials, bloodborne pathogens, personal protective equipment, lockout/tag out, emergency response, ergonomics, first aid/CPR/defibrillator, accident investigation, and the effects of drug and alcohol use, workplace violence, forklift).
- Guide and assist personnel with critical safety problems; review accident statistics and make recommendations for correction of problem areas.
- Assist line and staff management in understanding and complying with federal, state, and local safety-related regulations and standards. In addition to the handling of Oregon OSHA inspections; serve as a Risk Management Committee member.
- Serve as an adviser to the Safety Committee; provide guidance to committee members regarding regulations, sound safety practices, safety inspections, the creation of effective safety suggestions, and Oregon OSHA regulations; participate in the preparation of Safety Committee minutes and reports.
- Coordinate the analysis and documentation of essential job duties and their corresponding physical requirements for all job classifications.
- Participate in and facilitate the functions of the Wellness Committee; developing activities, providing information to employees, and improving accessibility to options.
- Measure and report program effectiveness in a form that is useful and relevant to include all National Transit Database Safety and Security Reporting.
- Additional duties as assigned.
What You Will Need to Be Successful in this Role
- At minimum, a bachelor’s degree in risk management, business/public administration, industrial/occupational safety or a related field.
- Three years of professional safety or risk management experience or any satisfactory equivalent combination of related experience and training that provides required knowledge, abilities, and skills.
- Considerable knowledge of Oregon OSHA and other safety regulations.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and Google Workspace.
- Comfortable presenting data, charts, and graphs to an audience.
- Communicates complex subjects and sensitive information, both orally and in writing in a clear, concise, and logical manner.
- Ability to collect, analyze, and interpret data recommending sound policies and practices based on that data.
- Considerable skill in developing and delivering training programs.
- Interacts with other employees and the general public using courtesy, tact, and good judgment. Acts as a positive representative of Cherriots.
- Strong focus on producing quality work while meeting time and budget commitments.
- A proactive, self-starter who works well in a team environment.
- Maintains strict confidentiality.
- Ability to perform the job functions in a safe manner. Special Requirements
- Valid Oregon Class C driver’s license and driving record that demonstrates adherence to safety and traffic laws and regulations.
- No criminal conviction which may, in the sole judgment of the organization, constitute a threat to property or the safety of others.
- Primarily an office working environment. However, on occasion the incumbent is required to perform duties in areas where they may be exposed to loud noise, severe weather conditions, and fumes, within a bus maintenance shop environment, while riding transit vehicles, or while being outdoors.
- Must travel occasionally to attend meetings and conferences or to investigate safety and risk management related matters.
- Required to respond to emergencies on short notice at any hour, and provide own transportation to emergencies.
Equal Opportunity Employer
As an equal opportunity employer, we strive to have a workforce that reflects the community we serve. No person is unlawfully excluded from employment opportunities based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), age, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or other protected class. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees who need them because of a disability or practice or in observance of their religion, absent undue hardship.
How to apply:
Please visit the Cherriots Careers Page to apply at: https://www.cherriots.org/careers/