Oak Lodge Water Services District - Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator
Location: Oak Grove, Oregon
Salary: $27.97 to $38.84/DOE and Certifications
Oak Lodge Water Services District is looking for a Plant Operator for our Wastewater Treatment Plant. This position performs complex technical work in the operation and daily management of wastewater treatment plant equipment and systems. Plant Operators operate and maintain the Wastewater Treatment Plant and assure plant processes are compliant with local, state, and federal discharge limits and land application regulations; protect the health and safety of personnel, the public and the environment.
About Oak Lodge Water Services District:
Oak Lodge Water Services provides clean water and sanitary services to residents of the unincorporated communities of Oak Grove and Jennings Lodge. Oak Lodge Water Services serves over 30,000 residents. Prior to January 2017, two separate water and sanitary districts serviced the area separately. Oak Lodge Water provided drinking water and Oak Lodge Sanitary provided sanitary sewer and watershed protection. In May 2016, voters in the district passed a measure to consolidate the two districts into a single district. Our newly combined district is focusing on delivering the best possible services to our customers efficiently and effectively.
The District’s key values are:
- Our customers
- Respecting the opinions and voices of coworkers, customers, the public, and the Board
- Maintaining a positive and professional environment that expects honesty, integrity, quality customer service, and social responsibility
- Positive relationships, and always reaching for the best within ourselves
- Recruiting and maintaining highly motivated people to provide quality service to our customers
By practicing these values, we create an open forum to achieve excellence in communication and work processes which provide our customers with efficient wastewater, surface water and clean water services that protect public health and water quality. At Oak Lodge Water Services District, we strive to create a culture of teamwork and excellence in Public Service.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES OF THE POSITION:
- Monitor and operate wastewater treatment plant and pump stations in compliance with the treatment plant process control strategy; coordinate and monitor plant and pump station operations; plans, schedules and works with other operators and maintenance mechanics.
- Maintains records of plant operation and prepares and submits related reports
- Perform lab duties that support process decisions in addition to providing permit related data; may coordinate with contracted lab services.
- Use computers and other technology to monitor, change, or adjust processes and equipment.
- Assist with the development of operational strategies to meet permit. requirements; assists with the developing of Standard Operating Procedures.
- Process and facilitate re-use of biosolids; facilitate disposal of treatment plant solid waste.
- Respond to and directs personnel during emergency situations.
- Review and remain current on State and Federal regulations governing wastewater treatment, biosolids application and other regulatory requirements.
- Maintain buildings and facilities; may perform light equipment maintenance and assist in major maintenance or repair.
- Assist Maintenance Mechanics with plant projects, repairs, and improvements.
- Monitor incoming flow and pump stations.
- Collects liquid and solid waste samples and adjusts the treatment process as needed based on findings.
- Respond outside of scheduled shift as required by the District’s “on call” program.
- Coordinates and monitors contracted work in conjunction with other operators and teams.
Knowledge, Skill, and Ability:
Knowledge and skill related to operation and maintenance of wastewater treatment facilities including related biological processes and pump stations; compliance with federal, state regulations regarding wastewater treatment and biosolids operations; skill in laboratory sampling, analytics and implementation of laboratory QA/QC; knowledge of standard processes and chemicals used in testing and treating wastewater and sewage samples; knowledge of chemical addition techniques for treatment process control; ability to adjust various process control devices to achieve desired outcomes such as nutrient removal, solids reduction and process optimization; knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions; skills with computer software applications and data interpretation; knowledge of programmable logic controllers use, mechanical operation of equipment, plumbing and hydraulics applied to wastewater treatment and pump station operations; skill and ability to make clear oral and written communications, deal tactfully with the public and maintain effective working relationships with other employees. Skill and ability to understand and implement Federal and State reporting requirements, OSHA rules and maintenance procedures. Ability to work on a variety of tasks efficiently while dealing with interruptions; ability to maintaining good public relations; skill and ability with interpersonal skills, problem analysis, math, independent judgment, and effective writing/understanding/speaking English. Ability to be on-call on a rotating basis to respond to system emergencies.
Experience and Training:
An associate degree specializing in Wastewater Treatment and one (1) year of experience in wastewater plant operations; or any equivalent combination of experience and training. A valid Grade 1 Wastewater Treatment Certification or higher certification from the Oregon Department of Environmental Quality or equivalent wastewater treatment certification from another state is strongly preferred.
Special Qualifications Required: (Licensure or Certification)
- Possession of a Wastewater Treatment Level I-IV Certification
- Possession of a valid Oregon driver’s license
- First Aid/CPR
In addition to the knowledge, experience, training and special qualifications listed above, the position requires:
- A high school diploma, GED or higher education
- A valid driver’s license
- Experience using Microsoft office and computer software
- Ability to pass a background check and pre-employment drug test as part of a conditional job offer
- Or an equivalent combination of training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities
This position requires moderate to heavy physical work which must be performed with or without accommodations including:
- Frequent standing, walking, sitting.
- Climbing, entering confined spaces, standing, balancing, stooping or kneeling
- Operating heavy equipment
- Occasional lifting of up to 50 pounds
- May be required to work under difficult and strenuous conditions, including working outdoors in varying weather conditions
- Duties also involve exposure to bacteria, viruses and toxins in wastewater, chemicals, loud noises, and vibration.
Ranking and Selection:
The ranking and selection of applicants to proceed in the process for this recruitment includes: experience, education, or an explanation of transferable skills and experience and meeting the minimum qualifications of this position.
How to Apply:
Application materials must be completed by the closing date to be considered for this position. Any application that is missing a cover letter and resume will not be considered. No late, incomplete or faxed applications will be accepted. More specific instructions can be found on the District application including instructions for requesting veteran’s preference. Internal candidates are to contact the Human Resources department for District Application and further information. Please visit www.oaklodgewaterservices.org for an employment application and further information.
The required materials to be turned in for this recruitment are:
1. District Application
3. Cover Letter
Closing Date: First review 10/27/2020 open until filled