Salary: $16.59-$22.39 (DOE)
Location: Portland, OR
About the Position: This position will perform various tasks, including pump station inspections, beaver dam and stormwater blockage removal, the operation of vehicles, including trucks and trailers, painting, and support on Operation & Maintenance(O&M) projects as needed. The assistant will also perform servicing and minor repairs to tools and equipment, perform manual labor tasks with small equipment and hand tools, perform building maintenance, and complete paperwork associated with different administrative tasks. This position will also be expected to be on-call during scheduled weekends, which requires you to be available and on-site within an hour when called on by On-Call Supervisor. Work is performed in partnership with the operations crew or independently. The position reports to the Operations Manager, and is supervised by the Crew Lead.
About MCDD: To enhance community safety and support the region’s vitality, MCDD reduces flood risk by maintaining our levee system, managing drainage, and responding to emergencies across 13,000 acres of land along the Columbia Slough and the lower Columbia River. Through intergovernmental agreements, MCDD manages three other drainage districts in Multnomah County (Peninsula Drainage District #1, Peninsula Drainage District #2, and Sandy Drainage Improvement Company). Together, the four districts maintain a 27-mile levee system that includes 12 pump stations and 45 miles of ditches, sloughs, streams, and culverts.
Although our mission is what brings all of us together, there is much more than meets the eye when you work for MCDD. With a comprehensive benefits package and access to an agency culture like no other, we are a group that looks forward to coming to work every day.
- Competitive Salary
- Medical Stipend
- Transportation and Wellness Incentives
- Casual dress code
- Office Perks: We believe in snacking! Our breakroom is always properly stocked. Frequent visits from our 4-legged team members. Beautiful views of the Columbia Slough WatershedAccess to open outdoor spaces. Showers and access to bike parking
- Work-Culture: Open access to leadership. Collaborative environment. Supportive of families with children.
- Location: MCDD is in the Sunderland neighborhood of Portland, Oregon, a city known for a wide range of restaurants, breweries, and easy access to both the coast and mountains. The area offers a variety of neighborhoods, bike-friendly streets, and amenities of a large city.
Perform a variety of tasks including but not limited to the operation of vehicles and equipment, including truck & trailer, herbicide spray tanks, hydro-seeder; perform servicing and minor repairs to tools and equipment; perform manual labor tasks with small equipment and hand tools; perform building maintenance and application of general use herbicides; complete paperwork associated with different tasks. Work is performed as part of our O&M team and is supervised by a lead worker.
- Follow verbal and written instructions.
- Follow all safety standards and guidelines.
- Assist with routine maintenance in:Levee systemsPump station systemsDrainage waysFacilities repairs
- Perform essential core tasks for system reliability. Weekly pump station inspections. Drainage way clearing and debris removal. Pump station and culvert grates clearin Levee mowing and other vegetation removals. Weed eating pump stations and levee areas. Herbicide application
- Safe work practices and the safety culture
- Working with power tools and equipment
- Reading, math, and communication (oral, listening, and written) skills equivalent to those obtained by completing high school or commensurate experience
- Work in a team environment
- Have a positive attitude in a work setting
- Operate simple power tools and hand tools
- Ability to learn and apply safety techniques and standards
- Periodically bend, twist, and climb in and out of vehicles and equipment
- Required to climb and/or work on steep slopes
- Work with pesticides and other chemicals safely
- Work on water
- Work outdoors for extended periods under unfavorable
- Ability to lift 50 pounds and maneuver 100 pounds
- Computers or other electronic devices to document work
Education, Experience, and Special Requirements:
- High school diploma or G.E.D
- Valid class “C” state driver’s license (Valid driver’s license for 2 years or more)
- Requires 0-2 years related experience.
- Ability to operate basic power tools.
- Construction site safety awareness
- Ability to operate workboat with an outboard motor.
How to Apply: Please submit the following, in PDF form, via our Smartsheet link found here:
https://mcdd.org/employment/. Incomplete applications will not be considered. A complete packet will
- Cover letter or interest statement (Your cover letter or interest statement should address your ability to meet the minimum requirements and please include any preferred qualifications)
- Reference sheet (minimum of 2 professional references)
Application Deadline: February 18, 2021