Location: Portland, OR
Salary: $58,344 - $95,973
About the Position:
The Accountant II or III/Payroll Specialist plays a key support role for the finance department who contributes to the success of each member of the finance team, and the agency. The primary responsibility of this role is to handle a broad range of payroll-related accounting, auditing, and reconciliation activities in support of accurate and timely payroll processing. The individual in this position will handle sensitive and confidential information ensuring compliance with MCDD policies, and State and Federal legal requirements. Other key responsibilities for this position include full accounts payable responsibilities (processing vendor invoices, employee reimbursements, credit cards statements, 1099’s, process bi-weekly payroll, quarterly tax reports, balance payroll tax liabilities, set-up new hires, maintain employee leave balances, PERS reporting, post cash receipts) and other duties as assigned.
MCDD currently operates five (5) separate databases using AccuFund accounting software, which is a fund based, modular accounting system.
Also, this position provides support for the annual audits of five Special Districts, as well as oversight and support relevant to accounting policies and procedures. This position also assists the District Accountant and the Finance Manager on a variety of employee benefits issues and other programs as needed.
This position is critical to the ongoing growth and success of the Finance Department and overall organization.
The Multnomah County Drainage District #1 (MCDD) manages the administration and operations on behalf of itself and three other special districts responsible for flood protection along 27 miles of the Columbia River. This system protects significant industrial and economic land, one of the state’s most important transportation hubs, the Portland International Airport, and numerous natural assets.
MCDD’s operates and maintains the levees and flood management systems for nearly 13,000 acres along the Columbia Slough and the lower Columbia River. MCDD also manages three other special districts along the Columbia River: Peninsula Drainage District #1, Peninsula Drainage District #2, and Sandy Drainage Improvement Company. In addition to managing the levee system along the Columbia River and the internal drainage system within the floodplain, MCDD has evolved substantially over the past decade to become a solutions-oriented leader with our regional partners. We offer a highly challenging and engaging environment, and an opportunity to be part of a driven and passionate team.
In late June 2019, the Oregon State Legislature approved Senate Bill 431, creating an Urban Flood Safety & Water Quality District (UFSWQD) (ORS 550) within the urban growth boundary of Multnomah County to establish a safer, more sustainable governance structure to meet long-term flood safety needs and changing federal standards; to provide a more equitable distribution of costs based on services and benefits; and allow for improved environmental stewardship in the managed floodplain. MCDD is shaping, along with the UFSWQD board, the 3-5-year transition to this new district providing an opportunity for staff to participate in the first new government formed in the region since the 1970s. Over the next 3-5years, the initial UFSWQD board is required to set up this new government structure while establishing a sustainable revenue structure to fund operations, maintenance, and capital improvements. MCDD staff will lead the work of this new district under the direction of the initial board of the UFSWQD. If you'd like to learn more, follow the link here.
Although our mission is what brings all of us together, there is much more than meets the eye when you work for MCDD. With a comprehensive benefits package, flexible work schedules, a family, and a pet-friendly environment, we are a team that looks forward to coming into work every day.
This is a full-time, non-exempt position. Being a public agency, all approved overtime will be compensated at the rate of 1.5 hours for each overtime hour worked in the form of accrued Compensatory time (See MCDD Employee Handbook) to use against future time off. Our Benefits Include:
- Competitive Salary
- Comprehensive Medical, Dental, and Vision coverage
- State of Oregon Public Employee Retirement System (PERS) Participant
- Oregon Savings Growth Plan (OSGP)
- Paid holidays, flex, vacation, and sick leave
- Transportation and Wellness Incentives
- Healthy work-life balance
- Casual dress code
- Office Perks: We believe in snacking! Our breakroom is always properly stocked. Frequent visits from our 4-legged team members. Beautiful views of the Columbia Slough Watershed Access to open outdoor spaces Showers and access to bike parking
- Work-Culture:Open access to leadership Collaborative environment Supportive of families with children
- Location:MCDD is located in the Sunderland neighborhood of Portland, Oregon, a city known for its diversity of restaurants, breweries, and easy access to both the coast and mountains. The area offers a variety of neighborhoods, bike-friendly streets, and amenities of a large city.
- Bi-weekly payroll, consistent with applicable federal & state laws
- Balance Quarterly Tax Reports
- Balance W-2’s at year-end
- Calculation of employee leave balances
- Set-up New hires in the payroll software system
- PERS reporting (Bi-weekly basis)
- Process vendor invoices, reimbursements, credit card statements
- Process W-9’s and 1099’s
- Maintains bank balances
- Post cash receipts
- Maintains records, including filing and general organization, archiving and purging
Duties Applying to All Employees:
It is the duty of all employees to:
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Strive to achieve the Mission, Vision, and Values of the organization
- Perform the duties assigned during an emergency
- Complete required Incident Command System training within 90 days of hire
- Remain within a 10-hour response time during the District’s Partial Emergency Activation or as specified by the Executive Director
- Adhere to workplace safety rules and regulations
- Occasional weekend and evening shifts may be required
- Some travel may be required to attend conferences and events
- Ensure and encourage a safe workplace environment
- Microsoft Office, Excel, Word, Outlook
- Accounting Software
- Accounting standards per GAAP
- BOLI requirements
- Knowledge of laws and policies related to managing payroll and other personnel
- Effectively organize and prioritize
- Work collaboratively with staff and other stakeholders
- Learn quickly, collaborate effectively, and adapt quickly to a fast-paced environment
- Create a positive work environment
Education, Experience, and Special Requirements:
- Experience in Accounting – 3- 5 years minimum
- High School Diploma or equivalent
Preferred skills & qualifications:
- Governmental Accounting
- Experience with manual and automated payroll systems
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong time management and project prioritization skills
- Intermediate to advanced Excel
- Good communication and interpersonal skills; ability to assist all levels of employees, including Executive Director, auditors, and multiple internal and external stakeholders
This position requires sitting at a computer, occasional lifting of boxes of documents. This position is not considered safety-sensitive. This position is expected to work 5 days a week in the office, full time. Hours may vary but should fall between 7:00 am and 5:00 pm.
Reasonable accommodation is available to anyone whose specific disability prevents them from completing this application or participating in this process.
Under Oregon Law, qualified veterans may be eligible for Veterans’ Preference when applying for MCDD positions. If you are a veteran and would like to request Veterans’ Preference for this job, please provide qualifying documents (Copy of the Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, DD Form 214 or 215; Disabled Veterans must also submit a copy of their Veteran’s Disability Preference Letter from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs) with your application submittal. Documentation must be received by the closing date and time of this recruitment for the applicant to receive Veterans’ Preference.
Equal employment opportunity:
All qualified persons will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, familial status, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability for which a reasonable accommodation can be made or any other status protected by law.
Open until filled: First Review on August 25th, 2020.