Location: Oregon City, OR
General Counsel for Clackamas County Vector Control District The Clackamas County Vector Control District is seeking an attorney or law firm to serve as general counsel for the District. The District is organized under ORS Chapter 452 to control mosquitos, biting flies and other disease vectors that pose a health hazard to humans and domestic animals in Clackamas County. The District is governed by a Board of Trustees appointed by the Clackamas County Board of Commissioners. It is an independent public body, however, the County Commissioners exercise a significant oversight role in its affairs. The general counsel provides legal advice and representation to the District on an “as needed” basis and reports directly to the Districts Board of Trustees. Advice is also provided to the District through its Executive Director. Advice and representation includes a wide range of legal and regulatory matters including but not limited to municipal finance and administration, public purchasing and contracting, regulations for the application of insect control agents, entry on private property, public sector labor law, employee discipline, civil rights, election law and other related areas. The successful applicant will be awarded a personal services contract for the provision of legal services for a period of five years unless sooner terminated. Service is “at will” and may be terminated at any time by the Board upon the provision of notice according to the contract.
The General Counsel is an independent contractor and is not an employee of the District, however, when acting on District Business the General Counsel is an agent of the District. Factors to be considered by the Board in the selection of an applicant are as follows:
1. Membership in the Oregon State Bar (mandatory)
2. Graduation from an ABA accredited law school (mandatory)
3. Insurance: $2 M professional liability, $1 M general liability, Auto coverage (negotiable)
4. Three years of experience minimum (mandatory)
5. Experience representing an Oregon public body as general counsel (Special District preferred)
6. Experience with environmental regulators (DEQ, EPA USDA, DSL etc)
7. Experience with the Oregon Municipal Budget Law
8. Experience with the Oregon Public Meetings and Records Law
9. Ability to work with the Board and Staff
10. Ability to work cooperatively with other public bodies, interest groups and constituents
11. Billing rates and fees
12. Must have no debt for taxes or other overdue obligations to the State of Oregon, the United States or Clackamas County
Proposals are due by: 12/31/2022 Late proposals will not be considered.
How to apply:
Proposals need not be in any particular form but shall not exceed four pages exclusive of a fee schedule. Proposals shall be on firm letterhead and shall be signed by the Attorney or the managing partner of the firm if submitted by a firm or partnership. The District reserves the right to reject any or all proposals. The District in its sole discretion may select one or more proposers and may tender an award either with or without negotiations. All those submitting proposals will be informed of the Board’s intent to award a contract.
Address proposals to:
Attn: Attorney Recruitment
Clackamas County Vector Control District Office
1102 Abernethy Road
Oregon City, OR 97045
Phone: (503) 655-8394
It is the sole responsibility of the proposer to place the proposal in the hands of the District at the above address by the date and time due.