Risk Management Services
The SDAO Risk Management Department is here to assist members in identifying needs and providing the tools and resources to assist with implementing strategies for preventing and mitigating losses. The main way we accomplish this is through the services we provide. These services are included at no additional cost to the member for the insurance coverages you participate in through SDIS.
If you would like to request one or more of these services, please email us. Below you will find a list of services available for each line of coverage.
Workers' Compensation Coverage Services
Safety Program Review
OR-OSHA Complaint and Citation Reviews
- Risk management staff can assist you with reviewing your safety programs to make sure they are adequate to protect your employees and keep you in compliance with applicable regulations.
OR-OSHA Self-Insured Requirement Assistance
- Risk management staff frequently assist members when they get cited or receive a written complaint from OR-OSHA.If you receive a complaint or a compliance visit you can contact the risk management department for assistance with how to respond.
- The SDIS workers’ compensation program is considered to be a self-insured group program and OR-OSHA has certain requirements related to this topic. SDIS Risk Management has a toolkit to help members be in compliance with these rules.
Safety Committee/Meetings Consultations
- Risk management consultants can conduct ergonomic evaluations for members. These evaluations include looking at office ergonomics as well as conducting physical capacity assessments using of a force meter.
Return-to-Work (RTW) Evaluations
- The risk management staff are available to attend your safety committee meetings on occasion.The purpose of attending the meetings is to assist the district in identifying methods for operating their safety committee more efficiently and effectively. It could also be to assist the members’ safety committee with a specific issue they are tackling.
Job Hazard Analysis
- Risk management and/or the return to work consultants can assist members with setting up a return to work program and educating the member on the benefits of having a program in place.
Workers' Compensation Claims Review
- Members can request assistance in performing job hazard analyses (JHA). The risk management consultant will assist the member with completing a few of the JHA using a hazard assessment form.The intent is to provide the member with the knowledge and resources to conduct JHA’s on their own.
- Risk management consultants can conduct a workers’ compensation review of claims and ways to prevent them.The consultant will ask questions about accident investigations, completing incident reports, and if these are reviewed by the safety committee.These processes are great to review for prevention of further incidents and accidents.
IH Consultations Provided as Part of Workers' Compensation Coverage
Noise Level Monitoring
- Noise level monitoring is conducted in order to gain an understanding of the noise levels of different pieces of equipment. These levels are a snap shot in time of how loud the equipment is. This information is gathered and used in conjunction with how often and long employees are exposed to the noise to determine if Dosimeter testing needs to be conducted or if the noise exposure is not a risk to your employees hearing.
Indoor Air Quality Assessments
- Dosimeter testing is conducted by placing the dosimeter on one of your staff members for a normal workday. The dosimeter records noise levels throughout the work shift and calculates a time weighted average(TWA). The TWA will determine if the District would be required to implement a hearing conservation program or whether or not any engineering controls need to be put in place to reduce the noise exposure.
4-Gas Monitor to Assist with Confined Space Evaluations
- Poor Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) within your buildings can have a significant impact on the health, productivity and comfort of your staff. IAQ issues can be caused from a wide variety of things such as moisture issues, pollutants being introduced in our buildings and problems ventilation systems to name a few. If your District experiences staff complaints our other concerns related to IAQ, SDIS Risk Staff can assist! This assistance typically includes initial monitoring and a visual assessment of the facility. The majority of the time this assistance will help resolve the concerns or issues without the need of hiring an expensive industrial hygienist to come out and complete an in depth assessment.
- SDIS has a 4-gas monitor that can be used to assess atmospheric conditions. The meter measures for levels of oxygen, carbon monoxide, hydrogen sulfide and lower explosive limits (LEL) in the atmosphere. Most often 4-gas meters are used for evaluating and/or entering confined spaces.
Services Provided Related to General Liability Coverage
Employment Practices/Compliance Review
General Liability Hazard Assessments
- Risk Management consultants are available to provide reviews of members’ employment practices exposures and provide recommendations and resources on how to best mitigate those risks.
- Risk consultants are available to conduct general liability hazard assessments such as looking at facilities and/or programs and activities the District undertakes. These assessments can be conducted from a generic overview of liability exposures or be directed at a specific exposure, depending on the District’s needs.
Services Provided Related to Property Coverage
Drone Flights for Infrastructure Reviews
Thermal Imaging Assessments
- SDIS Risk Management drone pilots are available to assist members with doing infrastructure reviews of your facilities. The purpose of these reviews is to assist members with identifying potential property loss exposures and preventive maintenance items. It can also allow for easy inspections of areas that are difficult or unsafe to access.
General Property Inspections
- Risk consultants can assist members by conducting thermal imaging assessments to assist in identifying potential water intrusion issues in your buildings and evaluate electrical components for potential fire hazards.
- Risk consultants are available to assist with conducting property inspections to help identify property loss exposures. The consultant will also assist members in creating solutions to address these exposures.
Other Resources Available
- SDIS has a driver simulator to assist members with training staff on the various risks associated with driving. The purpose of the simulator is to reinforce safe driving behaviors that are taught in the classroom.
*There is prerequisite classes that must be taken prior to the simulator bring brought to your site.
Playground Impact Attenuation Testing
- SDIS has an ST Impact Analyzer that quantifies the resiliency of your playground fall surfacing material. We can come out and conduct testing to determine if the current condition of your surfacing material is meeting industry standards.