Skip to main content
Programs & Services
Pre-Loss Legal Services
Board of Directors
Board of Trustees
Skip breadcrumb navigation
Hood River SWCD: District Manager
This recruitment will be used to establish a list of qualified candidates to fill the position of District Manager for the Hood River Soil & Water Conservation District (SWCD). This position is located in Hood River, Oregon, and provides service throughout Hood River County. The Hood River SWCD Board of Directors supervises the position.
The Manager is responsible for supervising SWCD and Hood River Watershed Group staff and volunteers, preparing budgets and funding proposals, managing payroll and finances, and coordinating the delivery of technical, educational and financial assistance to landowners, producers, government agencies and other customers. The Manager works under the direction of a five-member elected Board of Directors and abides by, and carries out, policies established by the Board. The Manager works cooperatively with the Oregon Department of Agriculture (ODA), and other local, state and federal agencies to further the District’s mission. The District Manager must be dedicated to the SWCD’s mission and values, capable of facilitating collaborative and science-based decision-making, and possess a deep passion and commitment for stewardship of the natural resources and communities of the Hood River Basin.
Education and Job Qualifications
* Bachelor of Science or Master’s degree in business management, nonprofit leadership, natural resources/environmental sciences, public administration, or related discipline required, Masters degree preferred.
* A minimum of 2 years of experience in working effectively with a board of directors, staff, volunteers and collaborating entities including managing daily operations and financial management of an organization.
* A minimum of 2 years of experience in natural resource management including grant writing/management, implementing habitat conservation projects, and a firm understanding of methods for watershed restoration.
* Excellent interpersonal, presentation, oral communication, writing, and computer skills required.
* Ability to work independently, manage time effectively, prioritize varied work tasks.
* Proven ability to work effectively with citizens, business interests, landowners, community groups and governmental agencies having diverse values.
* Ability to lead and facilitate meetings or discussion groups.
* Strong computer, writing and communication skills
* Familiarity with conservation laws including local, state and federal regulations and laws, habitat programs, along with state and federal funding mechanisms.
* Understanding of current trends, practices, and emerging challenges to watershed restoration and enhancement, particularly those that would apply in the Columbia Gorge.
* Have a valid driver’s license, clean driving record and personal vehicle.
Workstation is located at the Hood River SWCD office, 3007 Experiment Station Rd., Hood River. Computer and telephone are provided.
Requires travel throughout Hood River County. May require travel outside of the area for training, meetings and conferences. Own vehicle, vehicle insurance and valid driver’s license are required for the job. Mileage is reimbursed at the federal rate.
Attendance at monthly (evening) Hood River Watershed Group and SWCD Board meetings is mandatory.
* Salary $55,000-60,000 to start DOE/DOQ
* Retirement benefits after 3 month probation period.
* Vacation and Sick Leave
* Paid Federal Holidays
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Hood River Soil & Water Conservation District is an equal opportunity employer, providing services to the public without regard to race, color, national origin, religious preference, sex, age or disability.
Please complete the Hood River SWCD application form and submit it with a current resume and a short (3 page maximum) writing sample. Applicants selected for an interview will be notified by telephone to schedule the interview.
Mail your completed application materials to:
Hood River SWCD
3007 Experiment Station Rd.
Hood River, OR 97031
Or email completed application materials to
: April 9, 2018
: May 4, 2018
: June 2018
Resumes must be received by 4:00 p.m. of the close date. The District cannot be responsible for material lost through the mail.