Skip to main content
Programs & Services
Pre-Loss Legal Services
Board of Directors
Board of Trustees
Skip breadcrumb navigation
Clackamas Fire District No. 1: Accounting Specialist
Salary: $26.08-$37.07 Hourly
Opening Date: 6/11/18
Closing Date: 6/29/2018 11:59pm
General Statement of Duties Performs skilled accounting duties as directed requiring a working knowledge of the Districts policies/procedures and generally accepted accounting standards. Duties may include assisting with preparation of payroll, general ledger transactions, budget development and tracking, financial analysis and reconciliation, and accounts receivable billing. Perform any combination of skilled calculating, posting, and verifying duties to obtain primary financial data for use in maintaining accounting records. Supervision Received Works under the general supervision of the Finance Director or designee who assigns duties and reviews work for accuracy and conformance to District requirements.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The functions listed below are characteristic of the type and level of work associated with this position. The list is not all-inclusive. Individual may perform some or all, as well as other similar work.
* On-site regular attendance is required for this position.
* Provides excellent customer service to all internal and external customers in the Finance Division.
* Prepares, examines, or analyzes accounting and financial records to assess accuracy, completeness, and conformance to reporting and procedural standards.
* Classifies, records and summarizes accounting and financial data to compile and keep financial records, using accounting and financial software.
* Compiles data from various sources to develop summary and/or detail reports for use by leadership; verify summaries against source documents in accordance with established formulas, equations and technical data. Reviews data to determine significant trends.
* Reconciles and maintain accounts receivable including reconciling total receipts to bank deposits; preparing reports and statements including monthly aged receivable reports; and pursuing collection of delinquent accounts. Processes and/or reconciles Accounts Receivable, collecting deposits, payments or fees and preparing cash for deposit or disbursement. Coordinates billing activities with third-party billers as needed.
* Reconciles and maintains payroll accounts, prepares payroll-related reports, and acts as a backup for payroll preparation as needed.
* Assists in the review of processes and procedures for efficiency and internal control. Develops recommendations for improvements as identified, and assists with implementation.
* Assists supervisor or other management personnel by taking responsibility for a narrow stream of defined products or cases; this work typically involves identifying issues, problems, or conditions and seeking solutions based on practical knowledge of guidelines and precedent case actions relating to the program area.
* Responds to incoming calls and inquiries of a non-routine, highly confidential nature where improper release of information may adversely affect the District.
* Performs other related duties as assigned, including providing backup and/or assistance for any needs within the Finance Division and the Fire District as directed.
* Associate degree in Business or Accounting; or 3 years strongly related experience
* Extensive knowledge of Windows-based software
* Technical knowledge of Finance principles and practices, and financial computer applications and spreadsheets
* Excellent organizational and time management skills
* Collaborative problem solving skills
* Excellent verbal and written skills
* Proficient with 10-key calculators, Excel, Word and other computer accounting software to perform calculations and produce financial documents and reports
* Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with those contacted in the course of work
* Valid Driver's License and acceptable driving record
* QuickBooks experience
* Enterprise Resource Planning software experience, specifically Tyler Technologies Munis
* Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), bookkeeping/accounting principles and practices.
* Payroll preparation experience
* Governmental public sector accounting or payroll experience
* Familiarity or knowledge of the Fire Service
* CPR/AED/First Aid Certified
Desired Core Competencies
Ethics and values
Integrity and trust
Clackamas Fire District #1 will conduct criminal background checks on final candidates. All applicants are subject to additional pre-employment check(s) such as driver license, employment history verification, reference checks and education verification, as required for the position.
Eligible veterans who meet the qualifications will be given veterans' preference. To receive preference, veterans must attach appropriate documentation as outlined by the Department of Administrative Services at the following website:
. Veterans may also call the Oregon Department of Veterans' Affairs at 1-800-692-9666.
* For questions about the job announcement, call Lauren Stevens at 503-742-2681
* For technical help with your login or online application issues, call 1-855-524-5627 from 6:30 am to 5:30 pm PST M-F by leaving a voicemail. It may take up to 24 hours to receive a response. If you do not receive a response after 24 hours, you can email Technical Support at
* For application help please email
1. Completed electronic application including supplemental questions.
2. Resume. Please make sure that your attached resume clearly meets the requirements outlined above including dates of employment and comprehensive duties lists.
3. Cover letter that addresses requirements listed above.
4. Certifications and Documentation. Please read all supplemental questions carefully and attach all applicable documentation requested.
5. Veteran documentation. To receive veteran preference points, you must attach appropriate documentation.
For full job description and supplemental questions, please visit the
11300 SE Fuller Road
Milwaukie, OR 97222
Clackamas Fire District #1 makes its recruitment decisions without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, religion, genetics, marital status, age, prior injury, family relationship or mental or physical disability. For additional information, please visit:
Clackamas Fire District #1 is a drug-free workplace. Clackamas Fire District #1 utilizes
to schedule interviews. If selected to move forward in the process to a panel and/or Chief's interview, you will be required to self-assign your interview date and time via
. Please be aware of this and ensure that emails from email@example.com and NeoGov do not go in to your spam.