2017 Pre-Conference and Conference!
The SDAO Annual Conference is the best opportunity for you to attend SDAO training and education programs, network and interact with colleagues and service providers, and conduct association business. Whether you are a special district member, non-member-affiliate organization, or provider of goods and services to special districts, the conference will have something for you.
Download the conference brochure
THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 9TH
8am-Noon: Ethics, Morals, and the Political Environment | Presented by: George Dunkel, SDAO and
Jeff Griffin, OFCA
9am-5pm: SDAO Risk Management Trends | Presented by: SDAO Risk Management Staff and
Panel of Speakers
5-6:30pm: Welcoming Reception
FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 10TH
7:30am-6pm: Exhibitor Trade Show
8:30-10am: Keynote Speaker | Entering the Shift Age, David Houle
10:30am-Noon: Breakout Sessions
- Foundations of Public Contracting Part I: Don't be Afraid | Presented by: Eileen Eakins
- Opioid Impact on Society - History to Present | Presented by: Brad Lorber, MD, Northwest Occupational Medicine Center
- Re-Tooling Your Performance Management | Presented by: Stacy Maxwell, Jackson County Fire District 3 and Kelly Williams, Centerpoint
- What Now? Making Sense of the Healthcare Industry During Turbulent Times | Presented by: Katie Peterson, The Partners Group
1:30-3pm: Breakout Sessions
- Foundations of Public Contracting Part II: Essential Contract Components and Sample Contracts | Presented by: Eileen Eakins
- Emergency Management/Oregon's Resiliency Plan | Presented by: Mark Knudson, Tualatin Valley Water District and Jon Newman, Enterprise Sales Agility Recovery
- He Said What? Limits of Employee Protected Speech | Presented by: Chandra Hatfield and Dee Rubanoff, Peck Rubanoff & Hatfield
- SDIS Member Portal Overview | Presented by: Gary Byars, SDAO
3:15-5pm: District Caucus Meetings
SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 11TH
- Maintaining Effective Volunteer Board Members and Boards | Presented by: Rob Mills and George Dunkel, SDAO
- The Immunities: Recreational and Discretionary | Presented by: Spencer Rockwell and Dan Davenport, SDAO
- Wrongful Discharge and Constitutional Claims | Presented by: Ron Downs, SDAO
- How to Build a Special District Website in Less Than Two Hours! | Presented by: Sloane Dell'Orto, Streamline
- Government and Liability Training for New Board Members | Presented by: Frank Stratton, SDAO
- Employment Practices: Litigation and How to Avoid It | Presented by: Teri Dragoo and Jens Jensen, SDAO
- Good Communication Essential in Handling Workers' Compensation Cases | Presented by: Judy Clark, HR Answers
- Navigating Today's World of Municipal Finance | Presented by: David Ulbricht, SDAO and Ann L. Sherman, Hawkins Delafield & Wood LLP
- Top Ten Board Member Best Practices | Presented by: Christy Monson, Local Government Law Group
- Musculoskeletal Injury Prevention Toolkit | Presented by: Greg Jackson, SDAO
- Public Sector Workplace Investigations | Presented by: Joe Henner, Pacific Consulting and Investigations, Inc.
- Legislative Update | Presented by: Hasina Squires and Mark Landauer, SDAO
Annual Business Meeting
Awards Banquet & Entertainment
SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 12TH
Closing Speaker | Seven Lessons from Oregon's Pacific Crest Trail, Bob Welch
Back by Popular Demand!
The conference mobile app will be available for download from the Apple Store and Google Play in January. You can access the conference handouts, schedule, speaker information, sponsors, exhibitors, and more!
Please note: The conference has gone digital! Print the handouts before you arrive at the conference, or access them electronically while attending sessions. From this website, hover over Resources and click the Presentations link. Select a workshop title to download a PDF of the handouts for that session.